Cooking ideas??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by graykristen, Aug 15, 2008.

1. graykristen

graykristen Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    We've been raising cornish crosses and redbros for the first time this season. We are going to a party tomorrow and we promised to bring chicken. I don't have much experience cooking these birds yet. I'm wondering if any of you have ideas about how to prepare it. I guess I could just bring a whole roasted chicken but I need input on how to cook it.

Thank you!!!

2. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I like to put my chicken in a brine bath first for about and hour or so (sea salt and water)

350 degree oven

3-5 lb. internal temp of 180 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours
    6-8 lb internal temp of 180 1 1/2 - 2 1/4 hours

Mix poultry seasoning, rosemary, thyme tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, sage and dried celery or celery salt with 1 stick of softened butter.

Working from the breast top slide hand between the meat and skin to seperate the two gently all the way to the back. place butter/margerine herb mixture under the skin, work it around evenly. put olive oil on top skin and sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and parsley flakes.

Place in roasting pan with 1 cup of broth on bottom. roast

***if you need gravy I boil 8 whole carrots, 3 taters and a half an onion in fat free chicken broth. when veggies are soft strain them through fine screen. Reheat and season with S&P

HTH!

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Do you do the brine bath if you fry the chicken as well.

A friend introduced me to frying chicken without the skin, I was surprised how good it tasted. I always thought w/o the skin in would be drier and have a tendency to burn. You do have to cook it slower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by