Cooking Isa brown Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by brwneggs, Jul 5, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Hi,
    I have question and some help please, for all the Isa Brown owners and egg cookers. I am trying to make hard boiled eggs, and I have a problem peeling the shell off. When I peel it, the white comes along with it.
    I dont know if its because they are fairly new layers (as of the 10 of June), or not cooking it long enough, which I boil them for 20 minutes.
    These are not new eggs. They are about a week to a week and a half old.
    Am I cooking home eggs wrong? Or is that just the way Isa Brown eggs are?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I've seen alot of posts about this.. and currently cant remember any of the solutions [​IMG]

The reason the whites stick is because the eggs are so fresh, versus the yucky old things you get at the shop.

I always dunk my boiled eggs in cold water before I shell them, never had any issues

Good Luck

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Ok heres how you do it... First get your water boiling, add some salt, then using a slotted spoon lower each egg into the boiling water, once the water reaches a boil again set timer for 14 minutes, after 14 minutes pour out the hot water and instantly immerse eggs in cold water.. Once egg cools to the touch start peeling.. Using this method I have peeled thousands of eggs with a 99% clean peel... Also once i peel the first egg if it peels well I pour out the rest of the water otherwise they will cool too much and be hard to peel again...

4. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I do do that twice. Maybe its because they are "not" full size eggs yet? Cause I notice the eggs are getting larger as time goes. Thank you for your reply.
    Quote:

5. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Wow, thanks! I have never heard of doing it that way. It is because we have fresh eggs? I will try that way next time!!
    Quote:

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:
    Yep its because they are fresh .. The membrane is closer to the shell and therfore harder to pell.. This method has been passed around BYC ALOT and it works great...

7. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:
    Yep its because they are fresh .. The membrane is closer to the shell and therfore harder to pell.. This method has been passed around BYC ALOT and it works great...

[​IMG] Thank YOU!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Much appreciated!!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I jst saw that you are here in Indiana also.. Are you going to the chickenstock in August??? You should it was a blast last year...

9. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I dont know anything about it. What is it? Where is it? Whats it all about?
    Quote:

10. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Seen pictures of your coop. I have a mobile one ans it reminds me of ours. We have boards painted for the next coop that I am copying off City Chickens page. Today I put a fan outside for the girls. Not a really strong one but enough to them a cool breeze.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by