Cooking old hens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by triggfamily5, Aug 23, 2010.

1. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    My problem is I must be doing something wrong in butchering/cooking. Last time I crocked an old hen, she was moist and falling of the bone, but I might as well been eating rubber.

I have about 10 I need to do this fall (some are about 3, some are 5+), any suggestions to make it better. DH is not too pleased with trying to eat rubber again. Let alone plucking them.

2. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Do you let them set for a few days. I put mine in a cooler with brined ice water for 48 hrs.

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
  4. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Quote:Nope, I just processed and froze. Took from freezer, thawed and put in crockpot.

I suppose that is what I did wrong.

5. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    Quote:Oh, I like that link.

I guess I need to figure out where I am going to set up something for aging chicken, as I don't have room in my refrigerator for more than one.....

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Oh, I like that link.

I guess I need to figure out where I am going to set up something for aging chicken, as I don't have room in my refrigerator for more than one.....

a big cooler full of ice water

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Yeah, having room is a problem. I can get two hens in a 9 x 11 pan. The meat sits on a drain rack covered with moist towels. About 2 days of this and freeze or cook. Low and slow for an old bird.[​IMG]

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    They need about 24 hours in the refrigerator to get past rigor. Then freeze the hen. Otherwise You can send them to auction if you have one nearby. Old stewing hen sell very well in my area. There are people of other cultures that prefer the older hens for stewing.

9. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Yea, I bought one of those "old hens" as a laying hen from my local auction.....lol It's name is KFC!

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    turtlebird, thanks for the link. Good article. Explains why the chicken I ate in small town Germany was so very different!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by