Cooking recommendations for 13-14 wk old Australorp roo

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chick-chica, Dec 8, 2014.

1. chick-chica

chick-chica Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2014
    Hello,

One of my 'hens' turned out to be a rooster and when he started to crow at dawn we had to process him. I can't keep a rooster in my neighborhood without making enemies with my neighbors.

This will be our first chicken that we eat from our flock. The rooster was 13-14 wks old. Is he too tough to roast? There as maybe a teaspoon's worth of yellow fat when I cut into his belly (if that gives you any indication).

I was thinking I could brine it and then roast it.

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    He is still young so not tough. You can roast or make soup. Don't expect a lot of meat at 13-14 weeks! I like my around 4-5 months old. It is getting tough after 6 months.

3. chick-chica

chick-chica Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2014
    I couldn't wait until he was larger because he had already started crowing in the morning, and that was going to be a problem with the neighbors.

Roo weighed in at 4lb. once feathered and processed. I brined for very few hours and then herb-roasted simply with some fresh sage and a few other herbs from the garden and a bit of olive oil and butter.

He was super delicious and tender. We are a family of 4. We ate roasted the first day, then I simmered the carcass to make broth, and then we ate all the leftovers in a chicken soup. We actually got a full 3.5 meals from this rooster.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Looks great!!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not a bad looking carcass for that age! My birds were older, but you can see the EE and Leghorn blood in the smaller size and lack of breast meat....

[​IMG]

That's why I kept my Oops Dark Cornish rooster this year, I want more meat next year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by