Cookoo Chick!!!???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 77horses, Jan 23, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK, this is kinda funny(unless it's a serious issue, but I don't know if it is.) Our young black EE pullet, Raven, acts very.....strange... [​IMG] She shares a broody box with one other chick(Pumpkin, the sycho Buff Orpington chick) and they get along fine.
    I know that when chickens drink water, they tilt their head back a little to swallow. But Raven, when she dips her beak in the water dish to get a drink, tilts her head WAAY back(like literally upside down!) so it barely touches her back! [​IMG] [​IMG] She does not act like she's in pain at all! And that's not all; when we peak in the box, she will look up at your face and stare at you with her HUGE black eyes! [​IMG] One time, when I looked in at her, she twisted her neck UPSIDE DOWN(all the way) and looked up at me with her head upside down! What is she trying to do, see what my face looks like upside down??? [​IMG]
    My dad jokes and says, "I think some frost bite got to her head or something", since Raven and Pumpkin got a cold chill when their light bulb went out in their broody box(they were in our barely-used camper. we brought their box inside now). Pumpkin acts fine, but Raven acts so silly! She's the strangest chicken ever! [​IMG] She also looks funny with her puffy cheeks and large eyes! And her neck is sooo long! That's why she can bend it so far back.
    Oh and she has been kinda sick lately; has a slight runny nose, but is getting over it. [​IMG]
    What a crazy chick. [​IMG]
    (She's about 3-4 months old now)
    Thanks for reading!

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she do these strange things all the time? Is she able to move around and hold her head correctly most of the time? When she eats does she swallow with her head in a normal position?

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Whenever she drinks water, she usually tilts her head pretty far back. She can hold it up perfectly fine. She swallows/eats normally....

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    oh and sometimes, when I feed them, Raven gulps down her food pretty fast, like she's starving. She eats at a normal pace, but takes big bites. Then she sneezes when she gets too much of a bite. Yes, they are both spoiled. [​IMG] Even though she has plenty of food, she acts like she's really hungry. I change their food dish like 2-3 times a day. [​IMG]

5. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Hey I am the "Crazy chicken "

[​IMG]

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Hey I am the "Crazy chicken "

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Raven?? Is that you!? I didn't know you had a computer stashed away in your brooder box! [​IMG]
    just proves that baby chicks who are crazy are evil masterminds..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by