Cool looking 'Extinct' Button Quail Seen, Photo'd, Then Eaten!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Solace, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Solace

Solace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
  2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Wow beautiful... but bummer that it was eaten!

3. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    That is a pretty little bird..

I hope it isn't the last one living.. Sure hope some one could capture some and breed them so they dont go extinct... It has such a neat pattern..

I want one... LOL

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    I saw the article posted on other forums today, it is a shame. The bird is not actually a Quail, but rather a true "buttonquail" if you will. Some consider to be in their own order, but most consider it a member of the Gruiformes (with Cranes, Rails, Coots, etc) and the family Turnicidae. Thier captive care, physiology, and natural history is quite different than the quail we know as Galliformes.

Do a Google search on Turnicidae or visit BirdLife to see some of the species of ButtonQuail.

Dan

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    You would hope where there is one, there is more. Just because you haven't seen them, does not make them exstinct, just look at the 40' giant squid rarely(if ever) seen alive and well. All it would take is someone who had a genuine interest in saving this bird, to make an effort at capturing and breeding them. I mean, had someone gotten this one, they could have at least cloned it(have birds been cloned?). *shrug* Not sure how much good that would do, since the clones would be the same sex. So it would be copies of the same presumably "last" specimen, but regardless, it would be a way to continue it.

If they truly wanted to save the species, I'm sure they could(under the belief this was not the last one). Beautiful bird! I'd like to say I hope it wasn't the last, but if nobody has interest in saving them(and I'm in no position to help [​IMG]) then it wouldn't do much good.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by