cool new water container for my mini ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mominoz, May 28, 2010.

1. mominoz

mominoz Songster

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Just thought I'd pass this on. I have 5 mini ducks in a pen divided in half for the two breeds. I have a cement mixer pan from Home Depot for their pools, About 2 feet long by 18' by 6" deep . Perfect size. But for drinking water I was using those rubber pans, but those things get hot and leech into the water and give a funny taste, plus the bowls were not lasting on hot days for 2 minis. I needed a deeper waterer , that they couldn't " mess out' but still dip head in --and/or not have to drink out of their swim water. So I found a Maxwell house coffee container works great. I get the Blue ones at Walmart that holds like 2 lbs.? It is Blue plastic and about 8" deep. by about 6"x6" . I put a rock in it for weight and I sink it into the gravel about 2-3". It has a nice 5" or so diameter opening on top. They can't mess the water out and it last even on the hottest days.

2. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:That begs the question... how do you know it gives the water a funny taste? Been drinking the duck's water again, huh?

At any rate, congrats on finding a waterer that the ducks can't get dirty! They are indeed messy with water.

Last edited: May 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by