cool spots in my incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by browning6, Mar 7, 2013.

1. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I made a incubator out of an old minifridge. I used two lightbulbs and two computer fans. i have wire trays and space on every side of the eggs. My temperature fluctuates between 100.3 and 98.6 in different parts of the incubator. Is this a big deal? I thought the two fans would be enough but now i question my logic. Let me know what you think. I will try to get pick up as soon as my phone is fixed.

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    IMO i think you will be fine even though ideal is 99.5 but we don't live in an "ideal" world lol. What size bulbs are you running and do you know the size of the fans. A picture speaks a thousand words.

3. browning6

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    [​IMG]

I have a 37 watt on top and a 57 on bottom. The lower tray still seems to be about .5 degrees cooler.

4. browning6

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    [​IMG]

5. red golden

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    How close to the bulb is your thermostat.

6. browning6

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    it is about a foot away. To get two bulbs and fans that is all the room i had. Is that not enough? I went and bought a desk fan and have it in there but the temp still varies from 111.2 to 99 in different spots.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why is the egg rack held up with wire? Should the bottoms of the egg carton cups be cut away?
    I wonder is there a plan anywhere that shows where to put the bulbs, fans, thermostat in relation to one another?
    Sorry for all the questions.

8. browning6

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    the wire it tired to a rope that allows me to elevate the rack o none side to act as a turner. On design i know that the lights should be far apart and the fans blowing across them to distribute the heat. But other than that i dont know. i tried to spread everything out.

9. red golden

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Do you have any vent holes. If so how many and how big.

10. browning6

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I have two 1/4 inch holes on each side on top and bottom so a total of 8 plus the door doesnt seal 100% so there is a small gap there. then this week i drilled another 2 holes to give it a little more air since i am at day 12 on the oldest eggs in the incubator i hope that is enough.

Do you think that is enough? How many would you suggest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by