Cooler temps and 2 month old hens

KMW2021

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2021
We just got 7 2-month old hens, and 3 3-month old hens. I am located near Houston, TX and the weather has been in the 60s/70s this week - however we are expecting a cold front and are expecting overnight temps in the 30s, 1 night forecasted at 21F. We use the OverEz Large chicken coop and put in extra ventilation, and I have pine shavings on the coop floor. We do not have a heat lamp, but could try and rig one up if needed. What are your thoughts? I know many people are in a lot colder places, I'm more concerned about the sudden shift in temp and them being young. We can put them in a wire dog crate in our garage, but the garage is not heated...so not sure if that would even help.

Are any of them Silkies, Frizzles, or other odd feathered birds? Those I might be a little more concerned about.

The 3 month olds should be fine for sure. The 2 month olds... I assume they've been living outside now for at least a few weeks and pretty well feathered out? If so as long as they have protection from drafts and rain/snow I don't see any reason they shouldn't be fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom