Coolerbator Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LeviS, Mar 20, 2015.

1. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Ok so I made a coolerbator last year, didn't really have much luck with it. This year I'm giving it another go with a bunch of my own eggs, and while I haven't candled yet (going to tonight) I can't help but feel that there are huge temperature irregularities from the back to the front.

This is the fan I have and one would think that it's so big, it would be able to push a decent amount of air around? I've put my hand in front of it countless times (wet of course) and I do feel a breeze, though slight....so I'm not sure if its the issue or not. (I've also taken it down to make sure its blowing the right direction....several times....lol)

Anyone else have issues like this? I've finally got the temp to be 99.5 at the farthest edge away from the lights, also have a mason jar with hot water in the corner on the same side..opposite the fan. BUT the temp on the eggs closest to the light is now reading between 103-105!!!? I've been rotating them every time I turn but I don't know if that's just burning them all now or what.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. LeviS

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    After a bit of research, the fan I have is 90 CFM airflow and the one in the guides is only 19.....

I also ordered the brinsea spot check fan, should be in the mail when I get home. Though the two thermometers I've been using both say the same thing when put in the same spot.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. BobMcDuff

BobMcDuff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    Have a pic of how it is situated in your bator? What voltage are you supplying to it (they are designed to work on 12v but alot of people run them on a lower voltage).

4. LeviS

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    [​IMG]
    This is from last year, and has my old fan. But same spacing on everything. It's 12v

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by