1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coolest Chicken Ever! Silkie Mutation? New Pics. 2 months old

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KinderKorner, May 4, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Alright so I lots of breed of chickens running together. Well my Dominate White Crested Polish has decided to claim all the Brahma hens from my Brahma rooster. And I hatched eggs last month. I got one Brahma/Polish chick. It was huge, and completely white and beautiful.

I instantly loved it. But it was strange. All of my Polish crosses have been tiny. This chick is like monster size. Nearly double all my other chicks. Anyway, it has adorable thick foot feathering.

Well when it started feathering in I noticed it was a little 'different' than my others. And now at 5 weeks old. It is not like any chick I have seen before. It is a giant white snow puff! It has the softest feathering that I have ever felt, even more so than silkie feathers. It is super puffy. And it's feathers aren't normal. The wings are almost normal. But softer and they seem to puff out. But the legs, and everywhere but the wings are just fluffy down. It's almost as if it has it's chick feathering still. But it doesn't, these are feathers. But weird ones. I absolutely love it! I am already plotting an entire new breed of these powder puff chicken! I got a closer look today and it has very faint grey spots on it's hackles and wing tips. Which is normal brahma colors. But the feathers are nearly transparent. I am so excited of this chick I love it so much.

Could it have a mutated silkie feather gene? No clue how, since I don't own or never have owned a silkie. Also I am wondering is it some rare freak. Or if I breed the same pair will I get similar chicks? (I hope so)

This chicken amazes me. I can't wait to see how it grows. I am hoping it keeps it puffy feathers forever! It is brahma shape, bright white, super fluffy, huge, and just the best thing to snuggle.

I think I may have a new breed people are going to go crazy over. Time will tell. haha [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    pic?? [​IMG]

3. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    Where are the pics .. i wanna see it so if you can do it some more i can have some [​IMG]

4. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I think everyone of us is thinking the same thing. We want to see pics ! XD

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I wanna see too. I have polish running in my coop. I wonder what they will produce. ???

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    pics pics pics Gotta see this

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    [​IMG]

8. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Will have pics. Now. please.

9. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I agree with all the above...Pics will show just how awesome this chick is!!!

10. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]

A day old!

[​IMG]

A week old! You can already see it's super puffy chick fuzz.

[​IMG]

Three weeks old! See how puffy his bottom was already. Compared to the other mutts around him.

[​IMG]
    6 weeks old! See how strange his back looks. It's hard to see but his feathers are actually transparent! Very neat. Also they don't stick together like normal feathers. They aren't stiff. Just fluffy.

[​IMG]

Has anyone had this happen before? Is he normal and I'm just crazy. I've hatched and raised hundreds of chicks and I've never seen anything like him.

I wish everyone could actually see how fluffy and soft he is. But pictures are hard. Especially in bad light and at 11 pm. >.<

Last edited: May 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by