Coolest thing in the world just happened....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by maple, Jan 12, 2011.

1. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    This is from my face book page so I didn't have to type it all out again:

My status: Great horned owl in my coop tryin to eat mah chickens! He came in the pop door. I told him, "Whooo's a naaaughty owl?" And opened both swing doors and let him fly out...I ducked. Got pics with dd's new cam...gotta figure out how to upload. Some loose feathers on the floor but everyone looks ok...chickens, ducks, turkey.

Now THAT'S EXCITEMENT!!!! I'm sure everyone heard me hootin and hollerin and goin whoooo hoooo! and laughin at my critters excitability.

a byc friend said: You're so odd G...you'd be the only one to talk to an owl and not freak out and try to smack it out of the coop [​IMG]

another byc friend said: I would have talked to it too, LOL!!

1st byc friend again: You're already a crazy chicken lady though [​IMG]

I said: ha ha...and I was wearin my knitted owl hat.

That was like the coolest thing in the world. Everytime I came close with the camera he jumped up and tried to hang on the ceiling boards. Or he'd turn his head but I finally got a couple with him lookin straight on. Soon as he flew out it was a mad rush for the inside of the coop by all my critters...so I got a couple pics of them in the aftermath too. It was sooooo funny. I wanna do it again!

At first I didn't think he was gonna figure out to fly out cuz he kept lookin at the roof and jumpin up so I thought I was either gonna have to shake my owl hat at him or go inside and get a broom. [​IMG] So I stepped outside and then had my back to the door and then FLAP FLAP and I ducked cuz he was comin. He went up to the...what is that a Ponderosa Pine...the big tall tree? It was so majestic. I wish I could have cuddled him and told him he was naughty right in his pointy lil ears.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Wow Maple... neat story.

Now where are the owl pictures. [​IMG] I wanna see...

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Batten down the hatches. He'll be back. In their own way they are as relentless as a mik or weasel.

4. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    You'll have to be patient. I need to go out and give em water and get my dog.

Then I'm comin in and tryin to upload. I never did it before. This is the first time I've had a computer with a usb and a digital camera. The directions look easy enough to follow though but we'll see how fast I really am....you may be waitin a while.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Neat! I'd love to see one of those up close like that.
    How big was he?
    We need pics.. [​IMG]

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

[​IMG]

7. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    ok, back in. He got my black copper maran hen and I only have 2 of those. Bad owl! All her back feathers are plucked but I don't see any wounds. Looks like I sent my dog and got myself out there just in the nick of time.

Do horned owls hunt in the day? Will I have to worry about him in the day or more like dusk like it was tonight? He just got there before I would have normally shut the coop up.

ok, got dd's bag of goodies and gonna plug it in and follow some directions...now don't laugh...everyone laughs when they have to wait for me. I'm not blonde...ok, i am.

8. maple

Apr 28, 2010
    red...i dunno...i'm lookin at my yard stick...what like 15-16 inches or so maybe? But the spread of the wings more.

now quit distractin me!

9. maple

Apr 28, 2010
  10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hurry! [​IMG]
    yeesh! Sounds like you DID get out there in the nick of time!
    Hope he doesnt come back...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by