Cooling off methods?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by remuda1, Jun 13, 2011.

1. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    It's 104 here as I type. I've got two week old chicks in an outside brooder. They're in the shade and have plenty of breeze, cool water, etc. but I decided to try a couple of shallow pans with play sand in them and I wet the sand down.....no standing water in them. But maybe a good place to cool off those feet and scratch around in? What do you all think? I'm very new at chicks!!

Thanks in advance, I hope you're all having a great day [​IMG]

Kristi

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    [​IMG]
    I put my babies in the grow-out pen along with a full grown hen. I change the hen every 4 days. Just by accident I discovered that the hens had dug a hole in the turf, then the babies think the best thing for them is to expand the hole. It's cool. The babies love to wallo in there as it is cool and fun. Perhaps you could dig a little in the grassy, shaded area and let them discover how fun it is to dig down to the cool sub-earth? Just a shallow chicken sized depression is good enough.
    Denise
    Paradise Found

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Quote:That is an excellent idea. Good luck and enjoy!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    [​IMG] as well !

It got about that high here in Jersey last week & i put a bunch of gallons of frozen water around the coop and run. I went out an hour later and found my girls sitting next to & over top of the gallons with wings spread.
    I also put some ice cubes in their water. good luck !

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Thank you for all of the great ideas [​IMG] I would love it if I could let them out on the ground, but I have 10 week olds in the coop and run. I don't have any full grown hens yet and I'm pretty sure the older birds would have a field day with the little ones. They are in a 10X2X2 expanded metal brooder that has legs to keep it about 2 feet off the ground. I haven't done anything about a grow out pen as of yet, but I've been scouring this site for ideas on that too. I have been checking on them all afternoon and LOL, they are digging and napping in the wet sand. I may have to get one more tray though as not all of them can fit at one time. It's funny to watch them come out of the sand boxes and look at their chests like "What's wrong with my fuzz?" They are damp when they come out. But at least they aren't panting as much.

I've been having to hose down the entire run for the older birds every morning and sometimes in the evening as well. It's amazing how quickly it all dries out with the winds we are having in addition to the heat. The weather man said last night that MAYBE by the end of the month, we'll have a chance for rain....... Upper nineties and one hundreds forecast for the next 7 days.

Thanks again,
    Kristi

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used to do the same thing by putting moist sand in a sandbox for them. It is amazing how quickly the sand dries out. Good luck and enjoy!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by