Cooling off!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl4513, Aug 10, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    My chickies are so smart... they've discovered the drain off from the A/C and they wade in it. It is too cute. At times there will be 5 or 6 jockey-ing for a spot. In this heat...it's a wonder they all don't die. But they have also found the crawlspace, where our Newfie and Pyrennes stay. It's so cool under there it's almost cooler than the inside of the house. I'm glad they've got the smarts to figure this out. However, come time to do any work under there my DH will throw a fit over the chick pooh. Any of ya'lls chickies finding ways to cool off?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine just hide under the porch. Are you saying your birds are intentionally getting wet? Mine seem to hate water!

3. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

The past few nights I have been freezing bowls (those plastic glad thowaway things) of water. I have been going out there every few hours and putting the giant ice cubes in their buckets and inverting the bowls so there are blocks of ice for them to hang around. [​IMG]

The like to stand close to the ice or put their face really close to it! [​IMG]

We also put a box fan in the stables to keep the air moving.

PS. 102 degrees today in Atlanta - 108 heat index

4. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Quote:Yes mine stand in the A/C run off intentionally. Pretty smart if you ask me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by