Coon Attack ~or~ No Chicken for You!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goldtopper, Jul 25, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    At 12:30 last night I hear clang clang clang. I laid there, thought about it and realized it was a feed pail lid hitting the concrete. I jumped out of bed and looked for a flashlight. I have a 17 yr old boy, and being a boy, ALL of my flashlights are gone. I found a small LED clip on light, loaded up my high powered break-barreled pellet rifle and flicked on the flood light. 4 coons were next to the coop! I put the peep sight betwen the eyes of one of the smaller ones and squeezed the trigger. 1 down. I reloaded. 2 down.
    The mother and other smaller one made a break for the Oak in the back of my yard and went up the tree. I loaded and shined the light up the trunk. About 25 feet up, two sets of eyes glowed back at me. I laid the clip light on top of the barrel, put the peep sight between one set of eyes. 3 down. This one fell right into my compost bin, dead. I then put the sight on the other set of eyes, squeezed the trigger and crash crash crash through the braches came a screaming coon, right at me. I turned and ran, slipping on a pile of dog crap and landed on my side. Thank God there wasn't a video! I got up and there lay momma, a huge coon, dead.
    I went out this morning and the back yard looked like a massacre. I am so glad I listened to advice on this board and only used hardware cloth. If I hadn't, all my girls would be dead.

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Good shooting . happy hunting !

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

Coons are so cute but so deadly...good job! Love the avatar pic, btw! [​IMG]

4. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    [​IMG] Great job protecting your chickies! ....... Bummer about the dog crap though [​IMG] well...at least it washes off.

5. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Thats some good shooting. What make and model of air rifle?

6. goldtopper

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Quote:It's a Beeman S1, made in Spain.

7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Excellent shooting!! Raccoons are hard to kill (they have small brains), and often take a good head shot to knock off. So glad you went with the hardware cloth and were alert enough to stop them.

[​IMG]

8. Oldfort_mailman

Oldfort_mailman "The Fortfather"

Jul 19, 2011
    cleveland tennessee
    Are you guys using the 1/4 in by 1/4 in hardware cloth or the 1/2 in by 1/2 in opening hardware cloth?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  9. goldtopper

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Quote:I use 1/2".

10. Oldfort_mailman

Oldfort_mailman "The Fortfather"

Jul 19, 2011
    cleveland tennessee
    I have that on the bottom to let poop through but I have 1/2 by 1in on the sides. Unfortunately for me even though the wire is thicker it allows the coons to get enough paw in to mangle the little ones who get too close. They bit some toes off through
    The half by half on the bottom, though, so I guess i will have to hire me a beeman sniper or get a guard dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by