Coon attack victim still standing...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bodefamily, Apr 15, 2009.

1. bodefamily

bodefamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Pittsboro
    I have been scanning past posts for similar incidents and have pieced some information together, but have a few specific questions. A racoon got into our coop two nights ago, grabbed one of the orpingtons by the head and tried to drag her up a tree. We surprised the coon who dropped the bird and took off. She has a deep gash on her head, her comb is ripped, she has some cut skin on her back (you can see fat). She is still standing and we have been giving her water with a dropper, but she is making raspy, gurgling noises and seems to have a hard time swallowing. No hole in her neck that we can see. I am thinking maybe her neck is broken. i am ready to end her suffering, but she gets a little "brighter" every day. Aspirin, vitamins, rescue remedy, food? Any suggestions welcome.

2. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Antibiotics sure would not hurt.

I would keep trying as long as she is.

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Antibiotics and time to heal is best.

4. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

i hope you coon proof your coop ... they are nasty bad for chickens . and strong as a ox..they can openn almost anything and wont stop .racoons are the worst .. protect your pets or eat em your self is what i tell my self

5. bodefamily

Apr 15, 2009
    Pittsboro
    Thanks, we will. What worries me is the raspy, gurgling noise. On another, previous post this was mentioned as a bad sign.

6. bodefamily

Apr 15, 2009
    Pittsboro
    Our coop is actually coon proof, just a kid in a hurry forgot to latch the door...except now I am concerned the coon will come back for more.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    ANTIBIOTIC right away. Sounds like she'll need oral or injectible, not just topical neosporin.
    Keep her hydrated.
    Electrolytes for trauma.
    The other things you mentioned are good. Along with keeping her warm and comfy in a stress free place.
    Interesting foods to give her the will to fight - sunflower seeds, egg, bits of fresh fruit like berries, oatmeal if she likes it (mine don't), etc. Keep her hydrated.
    The rasping and gurgling really worries me - if you can get her to an avian vet, that one symptom calls for it more than the others.
    I hope she will be alright. [​IMG] Keep us posted.
    JJ

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Great advise JJ, I don't know what the rasping and gurgling sounds could be either. Sounds like you need to find a avian vet.

9. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    WOw...prayers Bodes! AS a newbie this brings a question up as we are preparing to build our coop...whats the single most efficient thing you can do to coon proof a coup? We also have lots of possums, are they a problem?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. bodefamily

Apr 15, 2009
    Pittsboro
    Thanks JJ. What are the doses of aspirin to give her? Baby aspirin I know, just not how much. Will try some egg. She has left her favorite food - strawberries - just lying beside her. Maybe I will try some banana. It may sound harsh, but I cannot take her to a vet. We do have one around here, but it is far too expensive. Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by