1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coon (GOT IT-- With PIC)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BrahmaBrock, May 17, 2011.

1. BrahmaBrock

BrahmaBrock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I have a live trap set with raisin bread in it but the coon is somehow getting the bread out without throwing the trap. I think he may be pulling it through the sides. Has anyone ever had this happen before? It has not got any of my chickens, they are secured of the night. I caught its buddy about 3 weeks ago and dispatched it, now this one has taken its place. Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I just set my first trap today to catch a raccoon that has killed 8 chickens a couple of months ago and one got a broody hen 2 days ago, I know they like sweets but I put taco bell in there for tonight as it was about 9 oclock when I got the trap and was dark and that was my dinner that I had in the car when I came home. Tomarrow night though I plan on putting a can of cat food in there and only opening up the can about a 3rd of the way that way it can't pull the can out and will have a rough time of getting the cat food without going into the trap. Let ya know if it works.

3. BrahmaBrock

BrahmaBrock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Well I guess the raisin bread didn't fill him up, so he came back for the sardines. Of course it may not be the only one, but I will reset the trap again tonight just to make sure.

[​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Yay,glad you got it! Curious to see how many you will get.I once saw 2 adults and 4 or 5 kits(?) walking from my neighbors deck to the woods.Always more than one!

5. homestead tim

homestead tim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

i hang the tails on my coop to remind the others to keep out. Its not working real well, they just keep coming!

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Keep setting the trap. I've taken 7 coons and 1 skunk since the 1st of April.

7. homestead tim

homestead tim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    That pix was taken 2 weeks ago actually. I have 7 now. My GF told me it was time to take them down.....She is probably right.....again.....

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:That's about one scraggly looking coon! Glad you got him!

9. raftnfish

raftnfish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Once you are done trapping yours...feel free to come over and get ours;) There certainly appears to be an endless supply!

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Good Job!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by