Coon or possum?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by oliviad51, Jul 15, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    We went out of town for a week, and I forgot to tell the person that was coming to look after our chickens to close one of the chicken coop doors. Only two chickens roosted in there. We got home and one hen was hurt very badly at the top of her leg. The other was left as just a skelaton. (sp?) Whatever it was, it could have kept coming back because we were gone for a whole week. All of the parts of the body were connected. The head wasn't ripped off or anything. We set the trap when we got home, and caught a raccoon, so could that have been it?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    It could've been a raccoon, but it is not a fair assumption that he is the only one in the area.
    We lost an Ameraucana chick to a raccoon about 10 days ago. We actually heard and saw him at 2am. We set traps for the next four days and caught THREE huge raccoons and an opossum. I'm not sure there's a way to tell what type of predator could've done it, but when there is one, there are usually more.
    So sorry for your losses, that's a shame.

Rocky:
    [​IMG]
    Rocky, Sr. (the trap is 42 inches long and he weighed well over twenty pounds)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think I have the same trap as you...I put a piece of bread with peanut butter in it, and ten throw marashmallows in the trap, and in front of it. Those raccoons&possums love the marshmallows.. I have caught 4 raccoons, and 4 possums since last monday, and they were huge too. They days we didn't catch anything, there was a rock stuck under the flap thing, making the door not close.

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing 8 Years

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    well coons take the carcas, opossums don't...
    simple as that.

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    must be a opossum then. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: