Coon proof cat door. Ideas please.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cpchicks, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cpchicks

cpchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I am trying to perfect a way to allow my cat to come and go from my garage, but keep the racoons out. [​IMG]
    My original system worked for quite awhile, but the coons have figured it out. I'm ready to re-design my idea but it would help to know how high a coon can jump.
    Right now I have a six inch metal pipe in the ground with a stepping stone on top. My cat jumps up on the stepping stone which is the same height as the window......then he just steps in. The stepping stone is 38 inches off the ground and one foot from the window. The window is blocked open 3 inches which just allows the cat to squeeze through. Now that a coon has figured it out, I'm thinking about moving my contraption to a different window that is a little higher off the ground, and I would place the pipe a little farther away while I'm at it. I would like to know how high a coon can jump before I go to all the trouble. I want to make it too difficult for the coon, but still possible for my young, strong, male cat. If a coon can climb a six inch pipe, I could use a three inch pipe if that would be more dfficult. Any ideas or comments are appreciated. [​IMG]
    Cheryl

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wow, that's a tough one. Coons are some pretty smart and tricky animals. I would venture to guess that anything a cat could get into, so could a coon. This is largely because coons can open lids to containers and unlatch simple doors.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't know about anything homemade that would work, but they do sell pet doors that are electronically keyed.

The cat or dog wears a collar that emits a signal to unlock the pet door. The only critter that can get thru the door is the one wearing the collar--and maybe the live mouse the cat is bringing inside with it so it can have some evening entertainment--oops, that's my house. [​IMG]

4. cpchicks

cpchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, I realize this is a tough problem to solve. My only hope is that racoons can't leap like a cat. I know they are good climbers, but hopefully they aren't as adept at leaping. There are muddy footprints on the six inch pipe so they may be reaching up to the stepping stone and pulling themselves up. I think I'll try the 3 inch pipe at the other widow and make it over 48 inches high. Hopefully my cat can leap that high, but not the coons. It will be a matter of trial and error.......and loss of sleep because I'm listening for them!
    I didn't know about the electronic collars. That is a great idea, but I hesitate to put a collar on my cat. He is such a hunter, and I wouldn't want him to get hung up in a fence.
    Thanks again for the help.........anyone else with ideas?
    Cheryl

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    what ever collar you put on be it electronic or flea collar it should slip easily over the cats head for release incase it gets stuck.. i would think about your pipe .. maybe pcv pipe it is pretty slick so maybe the coon can't get a grip?

6. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    humm... pvc pipe scratches easily so I would think it would be quick enough for the racoon to rough it up and have an easier pipe to clime than metal...

As for a cat jumping, I have had several that can jump and land on the top of an open door and my current cat can jump from my work bench into the rafters and he is about 6 years now... my thoughts are that your nice young one could jump the 5 feet no problem.

7. JFW

JFW Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Coons cannot jump more than about 6 inches, but they are great climbers. If you wrap your pipe with metal flashing for the first 36 inches, that should stop any coon from climbing it and high enough that it can't reach above the flashing to get a hold.

Otter

8. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    There are cat doors that lock and only open to an electronic signal given by a tiny unit on a cat collar. Get one of those and you won't have to worry about coons coming into your house!

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Coons don't jump well, so height is your ally. Outside of that, place a trap either outside window or just inside it. Then dispose of the critter and worry no more. Keep it simple.

10. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

wow - sounds like you are doing all the right things. good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by