Coon proof door knob?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by briana1975, Apr 30, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Ok we have been building our coop and we have posted a lot of pictures. We got the door on last night. It was a door we found out for the garbage and brought it home for the coop. Door frame was busted so my husband rebuit it. Anyways we replaced the door knob with a plain old closet knob. No lock just turn knob and pull the door open. Does anyone think a coon could open this? The chicken door will have a latch and master lock on it. Should we put a latch on the people door too? We have a lot of racoons in the area. I have aleady found coon poo on our bridge that goes over the little creek. That isn't too far from where coop is.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would add a latch and padlock.

3. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I went camping once and had all the food stowed in coolers and plastic tubs....and thought they were coon proof...HA:barnie
    If an animal is smart enough to wash its food before he eats and smart enough to know when to attack your chickens when you are not looking...then by all means ....assume a coon is smart enough to open a doorknob....

I have a personal dislike of them due to loosing 9 of my hens to a coon last year..dont trust them for a minute!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Some cats can open doorknobs. So I would not count on it stopping a raccoon. As mmtillman says, put on a latch and padlock (you can hang the key right there so it's handy, just don't leave it *in* the lock is all)

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I don't have a doorknob. Door wasn't quite big enough for the opening, edged it with roofing tin. I just use the hasps for the locks to pull it open

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    first of all a coon has to be able to reach the device to defeat it. secondly, no coon can work two devices at the same time so a pair of spring loaded devices would be foolproof. your existing knob is one and to add security
    i like these with spring loaded carabiners or a padlock:
    http://images.lowes.com/product/885785/885785985588.jpg

7. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Seems to me if you really wanted to just use the doorknob and not purchase a latch with a lock then just go to the local wal-mart type store and buy one of those doorknob covers for childproofing a door knob. It covers the knob and if you just try to turn it, it just spins round and round you have to mash each side of it in order for it to grasp the actual knob to be turned.

8. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    From what I understand, if a coop is toddler proof....it will be coon proof....Sooooo, how about a child safty door knob cover?
    I have them on all the doors that go outside in my house so my daughter doesn't get any smart ideas when I'm in the shower... http://www.target.com/Dream-Baby-Home-Safety-Kit/dp/B000W9JTQ0/qid=1241120556/ref=br_1_2/188-5362072-1739606?ie=UTF8&node=13020251&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

the one in this link, it covers the knob, and you have to pinch it together to turn the knob.

9. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Thanks for all the replies. My husband likes that idea flopshot. But I already have some of those slip over door knob things in the house. So that is a free idea. Yet I have had 3 year olds open doors with those on before. So maybe not real toddler proof. We will see what my husband wants to do.

10. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is what we also use, with a carabiner (a purple one to be exact!) -- hasn't been opened by a raccoon yet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by