Coon relocation, not for the squeamish-Graphic Pics

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Shawnee_b, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Shawnee_b

Shawnee_b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    I been having a coon problem a while. Jamming traps, eating clean through the wire. I reinforced the traps, staked them, then staked double and check frequently. Very early this morning I saw a mask in a trap and 2 coons outside trying to get break them out of jail. 2 ran up a tree and 2 were in the trap. Tuna/egg catfood and marshmallows.
    Being Sunday morning and not wanting to disturb the serenity, I opted for the silenced P22 (yes it's legal, they are legal in 39 states with proper NFA paperwork and yes I am a licensed dealer) Not that anyone of my neighbors would care and the closest is 1/4 mile. It also has a laser I can put on for night shots but light was good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Good Job!! I also have a suppressor on my Remington 5MM its made by Yankee Hill . I do have my paper work for the suppressor. I use the rifle to shoot hogs with here at the farm. I have a light on my rifle & the suppressor keeps the gun quite enough to kill multiple hogs at a time.

3. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Quote:Right on 7L Must be very cool on the 5mm. I was a licensed 07 manufacturer class 2 sot dealer. Went back to an 01 FFl and class 3 Sot. That's a TAC on the 22. There are better but it's hard to notice a db or 2, least to my war machine destroyed ears. Here's a couple more "quiet weapons" for your viewing pleasure of course.
    The green one is a 223. In KY it's legal to hunt with one of you have your fed paperwork. I do, I did, deer with it by 10 AM opening day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There are worse things than a fast, humane death. I always wonder why coons hit some areas really hard, and not other areas. I know we have coons here, because I've found their droppings about and because they've gotten into my BIL's garbage cans. But I've never seen any evidence of them trying to get into any of my coops/runs. Maybe they're eating our garden produce and are fat & happy from that [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A few days ago, I saw where something had messed with the outside chicken feed, set up so a broody's chicks could get to it without interference from the big chickens. The raccoon fell for a couple of marshmallows and some chicken feed. There was no sign of it trying to get into the coop but it was definitely in the area.

I agree the most humane death is something fast and sure. Looks like a Mama and her cubs. I'm glad you got them before you had serious losses. It's not like they are an endangered species.

6. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] This is why my traps dont work. They eat all the barn-cat food at night and roam the chicken yardscarfing up any feed the like, and leave the chickens alone being satisfied with the treats. It is when the birds are small and available, I get the losses. I am building some traps now that are like the live traps, but with conduit and chicken wire. Patience! [​IMG]

Uh, those toys are'nt allowed in Indiana. [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I hope you have a good safe those guns & suppressors ain't cheap. Yes, I used the 5mm which they quit making bullets for but now started back. I wasn't worried about killing the hogs I just wanted something with a fast bullet very accurate, & quite. I just wanted to put some lead in their arse. But surprisingly enough I've killed almost all of them that I've shot. I know some will say its cruel I could care less about a stinking hog I want him to suffer. The hogs do a number on our hay fields & make us suffer so I'm just getting even. I hate hogs trust me they have literally destroyed our fields. The money we spend to repair our fields kills any profit which is zero to start with if you know anything about farming. This year will even be worse the biggest drought I've ever seen . Our feilds look like the beach & then on top of that the hogs have the fields tore up. We need a break lord.

8. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Yes it was momma and her cubs. Teaching them the evil ways of a thief. I'm not all that insensitive, it really does bother me to kill. However some things are necessary.

I don't feel live relocation is the answer in most instances. Game wardens ticketing people is proof of that, there is a reason they don't want people doing that. Game management is best left to the professionals. Most areas are to populated with humans and you only dump your problem on someone else, like dropping off unwanted cats and dogs. If you go to a large state park, wilderness or whatever, the local resident animals already have their staked out area. Introducing more animals causes fights, mutilation, death, starvation, over population, disease. Fish and wildlife do a good job, why undermine them and just dump your problem elsewhere.

Vermin proof your coop, lock up your garbage cans, watch your pets, keep rabies shots up to date, fence and electrify your garden if you don't want to dispatch them but I don't agree with dumping them.

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Why would anyone go to the trouble to catch the critter & then let it go. Am I missing something here. You spend your hard earned dollar to buy the trap Then you spend time baiting it then you wake up & find the critter in your trap & let it go. Doesn't make since.

10. Shawnee_b

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Quote:Yes, very strong safe and securely bolted down. Been a dealer much of my life. No firearms lay around, one I carry and the rest always locked. ATF agents regularly spot check me (called compliance check) and the security of my lockup. Ammo is locked separate. Theft from a dealer is not investigated by the local yokel buy the ATF and feds with a 10 year sentence and or $250K fine. Fed sentencing is not a guideline, it's set and it's imposed.

I know there is a terrible wild hog problem in TX. I wouldn't hesitate to reduce the population either. Back in the days of row crop (tricycle tractors) woodchuck mounds hidden in hay frequently tipped tractors. The farmers welcomed me to hunt their fields in New England. 81 chucks one summer and many went to these 2 ole hermits in the woods who ate them (me too)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by