Coon tested, mother approved

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DazeGoneBy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    We had our coop finished and the girls in about 3 days before I saw a coon track on the fence. It didn't get in.

[​IMG]

Now about a month later, we noticed coon tracks ALL OVER the fence, run, and coop. We can see two distinct sizes, so we figure it is Momma and at least one baby. They didn't get in.

We don't lock the girls in the coop, and they don't go in their on their own...in fact I almost think we wasted our time building a coop...we could have just built the run. For us, granted, we have a small 4' x 10' run, so it was well worth the money to use hardware cloth (1/2 in.) for the peace of mind. It's clear the worst predator in our area has paid us several visits, and couldn't get in.

Thanks to all the folks here who educated us on proper predator-proofing.

We had a live trap sitting by the fence since day one. Last night we set it with peanut butter and marshmallows. Nothing yet, but I feel like we should try to trap it rather than just keep being thankful each night that the run is still intact.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah - it definitely pays to build things securely [​IMG] You will probably have to teach your chickens to go in the housing at night. When it's new, they rarely go in on their own.

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    try sardines! I got one the first try, now i don't have anymore pestering my flock.

4. Springthing

Springthing Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    SW Missouri
    half a can of small cat food works wonders here. Either we have a LOT of coons around here or the bait works wonders.

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:x2 on the cat food as bait

6. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Remember they are learning each time they come. Caught two coyotes today scoping out my chickens on pasture today and tonight there is only 1 coyote alive of the 2

7. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    Great to hear a predator success story instead of one of tragedy. Congratz!!

8. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:Oh my, this sent a shiver down my back. That is EXACTLY what I was afraid of...

Part of me wasn't want to use something so smelly like fish or cat food, because I really don't want to *bring it in from afar*. If it figured it couldn't get in, I was hoping it would move on and I would live and let live. But, I don't want to be so complacent that I give a coon the chance to find a way in and kill my helpless girls.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by