Coon trapping

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by REDNECK TRAPPER, Feb 16, 2014.

1. REDNECK TRAPPER

REDNECK TRAPPER Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    We have had a lot of problems with coons eating the ducks, chickens, quail, guineas, and turkeys. So me and my pawpaw one night sat up till 1 am and saw 7 coons. After that I started trapping every one of them and caught 6 in a week. They still kept coming and started seeing them eating the ducks feed so I would sneak out there with a 12 gauge shotgun and ended up shooting 4 in 2 weeks and got a possum. Just got one more yesterday and was a nice sized boar. I use a #1 1/2 long spring trap and use cat food as bait. I skin the good size ones but kill the others and leave them for the buzzards.

2. Bert2368

Bert2368 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2013
    East central MN
    Redneck-

Save on chicken feed. Throw the whole dang 'coon or 'possum into a slow cooker or a big outdoor pot on a slow fire, simmer for about 8 hours, let it cool and then give it to the chickens. Don't have to gut it, skin it or anything. The chickens will eat everything but the bones!

3. REDNECK TRAPPER

REDNECK TRAPPER Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Sounds good

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Glad your helping the world by down sizing the coon population.

5. Farmer Brian

Farmer Brian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Redneck, skin the little ones too. They're already dead, you may as well get a couple bucks for them. If nothing else, it will pay for chicken feed. At this time of year, even the young of year are plenty big enough to skin and sell.

6. Bert2368

Bert2368 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2013
    East central MN
    The little ones also taste better- Try them with BBQ sauce. Feed the big gamy old ones to the chickens.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I feed trapped predators to the chickens too! They love coon! Best free chicken food in the world........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by