Coons spotted in the area...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pips&peeps, Jan 18, 2009.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    My neighbor came over tonight as someone broke into his home last night, but that is another story.

However, he commented that his horse chased off two big raccoons yesterday morning.

So, my question is:

Do raccoons hunt during the day? I have put everyone inside the building tonight, except my extra cockerels and they are in a run, but I don't think they can get in there with the hardware cloth and the ground is frozen.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have a trap that I can set out tomorrow, what kind of bait should I use?

Thanks,

2. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    pips&peeps :

My neighbor came over tonight as someone broke into his home last night, but that is another story.

However, he commented that his horse chased off two big raccoons yesterday morning.

So, my question is:

Do raccoons hunt during the day? I have put everyone inside the building tonight, except my extra cockerels and they are in a run, but I don't think they can get in there with the hardware cloth and the ground is frozen.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have a trap that I can set out tomorrow, what kind of bait should I use?

Thanks,

They are nocturnal hunters. Bait your traps with marshmellows and tuna. They are quite determined if hungry, I would really asses the structural integrity of all my pens to be safe...​

3. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Do you think they would take a goose?

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oh Im so sorry your neighbor got broken into. Is he close to you?

5. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

They may attempt a goose, especially if there are two or more attacking.
    Geese are large, but the raccoons here are probably about 30-35 pounds.
    Geese can be nasty, but so can the raccoons. Nasty and fast.

I live in a suburban area and have occasionally seen raccoons early in the morning and early evening time. I wouldn't trust a raccoon at all if it knows there's a good meal to be had.

Good luck with the trapping.

Carla

6. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Right next door.

They moved in last year and they have been very quiet and reclusive. We found out tonight that he works for upper level law enforcement. He didn't go into any specifics. He had a government insignia on his cap.

But someone broke into his home last night and ransacked the place. He said they did not take anything, but found his desk open where his business cards are kept, so he thinks they decided they had better leave.

Our properties are 300' wide and 1200' long so we are pretty close, but we didn't hear anything. We have a 6, 8 & 10 year old, so the decibel level in the house is pretty high.

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I keep a box trap set at all times. I use can cat food. I have seen lots of racoons in the daytime. If they are real hungry they will come out. Good luck on catching anything.

8. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    A big raccoon will eat its fill on the Goose and then leave weather the goose is dead or alive. With real cold weather here, and then a sudden turn for nice weather durning the day my neighbor had two raccoons on his porch Saturday (during the day) . They were young pups from this last summer. I think hunger and other environmental factors will bring them out. They are opurtunists I went over to releive them of their lives but they climbed up the side of the chimny. I didnt want to hurt the house with my shot gun, so we set live catch traps. I think raccoons love the grain fed to horses. I would encourage horse owners to not leave grain uncovered or extra out after the horses have eaten.

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Love this line LOL

.22 would be safer for your house

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I had some kill grown Pekins, so a goose might not be much of a stretch. A couple of the ducks got away with nasty bites, but i'm not sure whether this was luck or because of their size. They came back and killed a dozen birds in one night, including a giant Cochin and juvenile turkeys.

You can't go wrong with fish for bait. I tried cat food to no avail, and someone on here recommended fish instead. I caught them both in two days, one died in the trap I guess from fright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by