Coop 8 Ft x 12 Ft

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by StormyMoon, Jul 16, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    About how many chickens can I expect to fit in a coop 8'x12' with roosts and nest boxes ? Its 6 ft tall. I have 10 chickens ages 5 months - 1 yr of age in another coop. I have (9) 3 month old chicks that will need the new 8x12 coop, and I have 2 hens sitting on babies about to be hatched about 22 babies total. This 8 x 12 coop is being made for the teenager chicks. So they will have a safe place to sleep at night. This is only for sleeping and then as they get older it will give them a place to lay their eggs.
    I have a pen that can be converted into a run if I move it over to the new building.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

8x12=96/4=24 IF you have good weather year round where they can go out on a daily basis. 12 tops if you are snowbound of 6months of the year!!!

3. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I am in texas we are lucky if we get 1 snow day a year

4. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    When they get older and big enough around 6 months old I start free ranging them.. I had a few losses of my smaller chicks so I have stopped letting them free range...thats why i wanted a coop for them with a run. But i wasnt sure how many I could safely put in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by