1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop 95% completed!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sgtmom52, Aug 3, 2007.

1. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

DH has been working on the coop for weeks and now has it almost completed There are still some finishing touches needed - like the outside stairs and some paint! The coop is 8' x 8' and houses 6 hens for now. We live in the woods in a very rocky and hilly area. The back of the coop actually is resting on a rock about the size of a small car - it is much larger than the one the board (step) is resting on!
    [​IMG]
    We intalled electric & insulation for our cold PA winters. We put up 1/4" walls inside to cover the insulation and painted them to make cleaning easier. We also found 18" rubber floor tiles at our local "Restore Warehouse" for 5 cents each to cover/protect the wood floor. The old double pane insulated windows were $1. each from Restore too! The metal roof was left over from the installation of our pole building. We may have overdone the nest boxes - since we put in 8 boxes and only have 6 hens right now - at least they will have a choice! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are the girls enjoying their freedom.
    [​IMG]

2. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    SWEET! [​IMG]

3. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    That is a great looking coop! I'm jealous! Why didn't I think to use a regular door rather than trying to build a door myself???

4. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    That is very pleasing to the eyes, first thing in the morning! And room for more, that's great! [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How cute. Painted happy colors too! Don't worry about them choosing nest boxes, I bet they'll all go lay in one and wait in line for it!

6. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    wow nice coop!!
    i bet rocks grow out there lol.
    they grow like weeds in oklahoma. lol

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    we could make this a contest, I think first egg will be laid in bottom right box

8. HenParty

HenParty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2007
    Central IL
    I'll take upper row, second from the left for the first egg to be laid in.

That's a very nice coop and it looks like a nice place for a lot of happy hens.

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I think those hens need a roo, and I can tell you where to get a nice one or two

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    WOW. Time to get more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by