coop access ramp - spacing of cross-pieces

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prairiepearls, May 30, 2010.

1. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    So, in scrounging through the basement for something to use for my chickens to access their coop (it's 2 feet off the ground; pop door is about 1 1/2 feet above the ground), I happened across a long narrow piece of plywood with 1x2's attached!! I had torn it out of the back of a pantry cupboard when doing some renovations, and the 1x2s were shelf supports! My only question is: the 1x2s are spaced about 10 inches apart -- Is that close enough together to accommodate the chickens, or should I add more 1x2s in between each pair that's there now? Note: the ramp/ladder will be about 4 1/2 feet long to rise the 2 feet to the coop -- I'm choosing a gentle incline for aesthetics -- to match the slant of the diagonal bracing of the coop base structure.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think that will be fine. It's not like they will walk up it demurely. Mine mostly jump on and off the ramp, and it is much steeper than yours will be. You can always add more crosspieces.

Imp- Now you need to post pix.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That will be perfectly fine.

I was about to post - just reading the subject line and before seeing what you wrote - that if you have some scrap hardware cloth left over you can stable it to the ramp instead of using any cross-pieces at all. I placed some on mine, with the ends folded under the ramp so it doesn't get curled up to snag chickens, and stapled the sides down.

It works fine. No chance of any cross pieces coming loose and nails sticking out.....

4. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    Cool! Thanks for the advice!

Imp - I have pics posted on my BYC page showing my progress to date.

5. Imp

Quote:Ah yeah. I remember those pix. Nice, I have a rubbermaid coop also.

Imp

6. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    Quote:So, Imp, where are YOUR pictures? ;-) I'd love to see what someone else has done with a Rubbermaid shed!

7. Imp

Quote:So, Imp, where are YOUR pictures? ;-) I'd love to see what someone else has done with a Rubbermaid shed!

Oh No! I'm being challenged to do something with my BYC page. [​IMG]

OK I'll work on it today, since I can't do much yard work in the rain.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: