Coop advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RosanneH, Apr 2, 2016.

1. RosanneH

RosanneH Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Ovilla, Texas
    We have no time to build a coop. We already have 7 (and one broody girl on the nest) in a shed/make shift coop but it's in a boggy area of our yard. Is there a good quality kit that will give my girls enough room and not take an engineering degree to put together? Budget of about $500.

2. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I haven't seen any commercially made coops in that price range that would be a long term cool for 7 chickens. I would check craigslist.

3. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Could you just move the shed?

4. RosanneH

May 4, 2014
    Ovilla, Texas
    No. The shed was on our property when we moved here. It really needs to be torn down. I've checked Craigslist but in our area they are mostly adds from the coop websites. I'll keep checking.

5. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Where are you from? Could you just build a temporary cattle panel coop until you find something nicer? It isn't ideal for layers, put as long as your weather is mild they would be OK for a while. (Some used them as their permanent coop)

6. RosanneH

May 4, 2014
    Ovilla, Texas
    We're in Texas. I'll check that out. Thank you.

7. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    He guy I know who uses them permanent, lives in texas. Maybe ask in your state thread.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Look on craigslist or box store sales for a used/new shed. Put that in a better location and quick alter it for coop. Move birds in. Tear down old shed.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  10. RosanneH

May 4, 2014
    Ovilla, Texas
    Thank, hubby is looking into all of that. I take care of my 92 year old mom so the bulk of the set up will be on him. He sure appreciatespecially all the advice. We're looking nw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by