Coop advice

br1990

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
Hi I have a few questions about the hutch designs on this site.

I have had three quail ,but the two females died about three days apart about a fortnight after purchase. The male escaped shortly after.

1. The majority of the coops I have seen lack any internal nesting/perching area is it not necessary to have them?

2. The majority of the coops aren't the 6' tall with double door/airlock. How do you prevent escapes?

Buy the way my male escaped threw a gap in the door of the rabbit hutch (double level) that was only a few inches open .I had slipped my hand in to take the food bowl out for a refill. The quail flew straight to my face over the shed and garage and into the neighbourhood never to be seen again.

shopkeeper never gave me a breed name but the male looks like the one in your picture.

My coop has two 2x2 ft doors that open at the same time - plenty of room for them to escape - but they don't even try. (I need to fix it so only one opens, but no problems yet.) Maybe just try to find less skittish birds. If he was by himself, it was probably stressing him out too. And, no, they don't need nesting boxes but mine do like moss and a sand tray and hang out in those a lot.

I have two sliding doors at both ends, The quail don't seem to make any attempt to escape when I open one to put in food etc, but as you can see in the photo the doors are higher than the floor..

Maybe it was just skittish on its own
Thanks for the advice people.
That's a nice run.

Back
Top Bottom