1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop almost done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jklett, May 14, 2016.

1. jklett

jklett New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    New Jersey
    I am almost finished with my coop and I have a few questions. I based it on the USDA plans for an 8x8 poultry house but I didn't put up the cupola. I did use 2x6 rafters and will be covering the soffit area with hardware cloth, will that coupled with the windows(still have to cover them as well) provide enough ventilation? Also, I was planning on using some 1/2" thick plastic(pvc I think, it was used for house trim) for a guillotine type pop door. Would that be secure or should I cover the outside of it with aluminum flashing?
    Thanks for any input.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Very nice coop!

I would think that anything that could chew through 1/2" plastic could also chew through wood, so I think it would be fine?

I know there's an equation for figuring out how much ventilation is sufficient, but I don't have it saved. I always vastly overdo it, because I can always cover it up if I need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by