Coop and Garden plan

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by polkadotchick, Feb 18, 2013.

1. polkadotchick

polkadotchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Southeast Texas
    So here's the plan...

[​IMG]

We are planning to have 4 chickens, so I'm thinking this will be enough space for them for now... This 'compound' for lack of a better word, sits in the middle of our 2 acre yard, so we can always add more run space in the future....

The whole thing has a fence around it because we have 5 dogs that dont need to be trampling all over my veggies and chickens! The coop will have walls on two sides and covered with hardware cloth on two sides to try and cope with the summer heat here in SE Texas. And the run will be covered with 2x4 welded wire to protect them when they're mooching around during the day.

So far, the main 'infrastructure' (should a garden and coop have infrastructure, really?!) is built; the fence, deck, bench and coop roof is on. It has cost us more than we had originally planned, but this is going to be my little haven.... and way I look at it is it's cheaper than therapy!

Let me know what you guys think!

2. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I like your coop design a lot an your general idea is cool to!
    Make sure to make your coop dog proof by putting a blocker down around the underside of talks coop so the dogs can't dig in from underniegth

3. polkadotchick

Feb 15, 2013
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks! I think we're going to set the bottom of the wire into concrete in the ground... not so much for the dogs sake, but we have racoons also which I'm a little concerned about.

4. rugznjones

rugznjones Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    We are doing the same type garden and coop in our yard. Check it Out on my page. Our area is 50ft x30 with a coop and run about 16x8. Can't wait till its all done!

5. polkadotchick

Feb 15, 2013
    Southeast Texas
    Wow rugznjones, it looks great! I love that all your material is recycled, very green! Are you getting chicks or grown birds? It sure looked exciting to see the shed being delivered! Where about are you?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice 'Plan'! How about some pics?

7. rugznjones

Jan 21, 2013
    We live in Bishop ca. We can't decide to get grown birds or coop ready chicks. My daughter raises pigs for 4 h and this whole plan started last year when the pigs would go and attack my garden. Then the dogs figured out that they liked my tomatoes too so so we knew we needed to fence it all. The idea of chickens came in somewhere in between. The shed was the most expensive (obviously) but that was planned a long time ago and incorporating it now made sence. We are working on it more this weekend hopefully I'll have more pics by Sunday.

8. rugznjones

Jan 21, 2013
    We live in Bishop ca. We can't decide to get grown birds or coop ready chicks. My daughter raises pigs for 4 h and this whole plan started last year when the pigs would go and attack my garden. Then the dogs figured out that they liked my tomatoes too so so we knew we needed to fence it all. The idea of chickens came in somewhere in between. The shed was the most expensive (obviously) but that was planned a long time ago and incorporating it now made sence. We are working on it more this weekend hopefully I'll have more pics by Sunday.

9. rugznjones

Jan 21, 2013

10. rugznjones

Jan 21, 2013
    Wow I hit submit one too many times! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by