Coop and Greenhouse, together?

amanda223

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
Hello,

I currently have backyard chickens but will be moving to a bigger piece of land. I am wanting a coop for about 20 chickens, and a greenhouse. My question is can/do you combine the two? Or is better to have two different structures? Pros? Cons? Anyone with experience or insight I would love to hear it :) Feel free to post pictures if you have some!

I have no personal experience with this, but it is one of my dreams to keep chickens in a greenhouse. I believe with proper design and careful thought to where the plants are placed so the chickens can't scratch them up, it can be done. :) You've got a natural little pest control squad with the chickens, but make sure tasty greens are kept out of reach.

Don't see why you couldn't combine it, however keep in mind that greenhouses are good for holding in heat and humidity, both of which aren't good for chickens.

If you were to do a shed or barn where part of it was set up a section for chickens and another as a greenhouse, that would be probably be better.

Mine comes pretty doggone close!

10968971-81F0-4F0D-A01A-421C88969E51.jpeg
37FB980D-E8FC-4CA8-9009-E02C9CE151C0.jpeg

Hello,

I currently have backyard chickens but will be moving to a bigger piece of land. I am wanting a coop for about 20 chickens, and a greenhouse. My question is can/do you combine the two? Or is better to have two different structures? Pros? Cons? Anyone with experience or insight I would love to hear it :) Feel free to post pictures if you have some!
Depending on your climate, a greenhouse might work good for winter chicken shelter,
then chickens could be somewhere else during growing season.
Generally speaking chickens and gardening don't really mix well free and full time.
Romance meets Reality.
Chickens will eat and/or tear up plants in the blink of an eye,
so some separation is required.

Back
Top Bottom