Coop and Poop

chickschool

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Traverse City, MI
My broody silkie decided to set her eggs on the floor of a small coop where I keep them in the winter. The eggs are due to hatch this week and I'd like to clean out the coop. Is it OK to do? She is extremely tame and has had no problem letting me move her off and candle them a few times. I just don't know if it would really through her off. If I can't clean the whole coop can I at least clean around her?

About 3 weeks. My problem is that she's on the floor near the roost where all the poop gathers and it grosses me out to think the babies will be so close to that.
tongue.gif

So it won't bother her that her "nest" is totally different? I was just unsure if I disturb what she built if that would cause her to stop setting. She's pretty easy go lucky but this is her (and mine) first time so I don't what to mess it up.

If the eggs are due to hatch this week, why not put the hen and nest into a large dog crate, and close it up? She'll be safer that way, too - give her her own little water and food dishes. Maybe even putting the crate in another area would be good, so new chix don't exit the cage when she' s locked up! You'll have to protect her and her babies when they hatch, anyway. If it's cleaning time, maybe you could make the switch now. Hope it all works out for you, the broody, and your new chix!

That sounds great...but there is one little hitch about moving them. You see her "sister" has decided to set with her and they take turns. It's really weird and I don't know if it happens very often but they have a great buddy system worked out. I will tell you that they are the only two in that coop so I'm not worried about keeping the chicks safe. My only concern was whether or not disturbing the nest would be an issue.

I just moved my hen and her eggs into a new coop after almost two weeks of sitting and she went right back to nesting... I was a little concerned too, but she adjusted just fine.

Back
Top Bottom