Coop and run advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rachelt93, May 5, 2009.

1. Rachelt93

Rachelt93 New Egg

May 4, 2009
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at adopting four ex battery hens, and it was suggested I seek advice on my ideas for their housing here. Can you give me any thoughts on my ideas?
    I was thinking a small garden shed (mabye 6ft by 5ft), converted to have nest boxes and perches, with a run that comes out from the back on one side and runs forward, sticking out about a further 6 foot from the front edge of the house and 3 foot from the side, and has the chicken wire covering the top and joined to the roof of the house. I'm also thinking of having a colapsable run that can be added on or set up elsewhere so they can get some extra exercise. Plus little window boxes etc, not decided all on the decoration front as want to get my plans for the actual housing sorted first, although I was eyeing some lovely pale green paint in homebase today, it'd look lovely with white edging... [​IMG] . I want my girls to be happy in their new home, so I'd love any advice you could provide [​IMG]

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Take a look at the coop section, it's just amazing. Lots of generous folks have posted pics of the entire process, ideas, suggestions, and even mistakes to avoid. It's fun to look at and we designed our coop with LOTS of help from this site. Good luck with your chickens! Have you seen Mad City Chickens? There's a story about a battery chicken... very cool.

3. Rachelt93

Rachelt93 New Egg

May 4, 2009
    [​IMG] yeah, I had a look, that why i want window boxes [​IMG] . they look sooo cute. I already have the rough idea what I want, just hoping to get some views on the dimensions etc i'm thinking of.
    my dad reckons i'm mad [​IMG] "you don't want chickens they'll smell bad and the neighbors will complain" mabye he should listen to those little "kids" next door. They scream non stop all day. The chickens can't compete.
    Does it sound mad i'm thinking of a little ornate door knocker on the house? I saw this really cute one...

4. crimsnchic

crimsnchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] I hear you about the noise, my kids are loud enough and then add on all my neighbors dogs, which happen to bark throughout the night! I converted all my neighbors this past weekend - they were shocked at how quiet they were and how they stayed in the yard, unlike my neighbors dog who crashed the party 3 times (they wouldn't put on her collar!). As for the door knocker, go for it! I love the pics of decorated chicken houses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by