Coop and Run are done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by awillard, Dec 30, 2013.

1. awillard

awillard Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Finally! We finished the coop and the run for our babies. It has been a process in steps due to time and weather but we have it pretty much done and are going to make a few changes and add on a few things as well but overall we are happy and the girls are happy. We have also come the fact that all of our girls are hens :) ... I'm posting a few pics of the coop and the girls hanging out. Today we put in a chicken nipple water bucket until we get the big one set up and are setting up a PVC feeder inside the coop as well (all we need now are brackets).

Question to everyone though; Do you make your chickens go inside the coop at night? Our run is closed in with a solid roof and all sides are closed in with fence as well. We have tried to see if they would go in at night with out any assistance but so far finally tonight I had 4 go inside way past dark and we showed the other two that it was night night time. Just trying to see what is best for them so they will get rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love this picture. This is our top hen and has to be first to do everything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The new water bucket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It looks so nice! And I am sure that your ladies are very happy with their new castle. [​IMG]

We put ours in every night until they learned to go in by themselves. While they might be fine outside overnight, I worry about predators, so they are locked in at night. Every evening they line up waiting for their door to open, and in the morning they are lined up waiting to go out.

3. awillard

Oct 28, 2013
    I don't think anything can get in since its sealed everywhere but then again you never know. They have been out in the run for 3 days since it's all closed in and we have been putting them up into the coop every night. I think they are getting it since 4 were already inside tonight once it got dark. I am going to keep working with them.

4. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It won't take much longer. Our all had it figured out in about a week. I just feel better knowing that they are safely locked in.

5. awillard

Oct 28, 2013
    Yes I totally understand what you mean. I worry about them, especially at night. Do you use a heat lamp in your coop for the colder nights?

6. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    No, we don't heat at all. We put clear plastic around the runs to stop the winds and our birds are fine all winter. This morning it was -17F and I was freaking out about them. I ran outside and they were all scratching around in their runs like it was any other morning.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice coop!

Chickens do pretty well as long as they have a spot to get out of the direct wind. So many people are surprised they don't need heat in the winter. The only thing I heat is their water, because it is such a pain to break up without it!

8. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    It doesn't get that cold here, but occasionally dips down in the teens. No heat in the coop. I use a thick layer of pine shavings on the floor and make sure there are no drafts. I have a very secure run, but I still lock my girls in at night.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You have a very nice set up, and I hate to be the voice of doom, but predators can shred chicken wire readily. If they were my birds, I would lock them in the coop each night.

10. TK421

TK421 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Central TX
    I used to lock mine up every night. When I replaced the bottom 3 ft of chicken wire with hardware cloth, my coop became truly predator proof, do now I don't worry about it. Each new group of birds I've gotten eventually figures out the evening routine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by