Coop and run are finished for winter, more to add in spring PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jtbrown, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Here is our spring into summer into fall and into spring of 2012 coop and runs.

The official title: Egg Ridge Island Farm -- we live on a ridge, it is in our island turn around and of course, we get eggs!

First, the building is 12 x 24, with 2 coops and a storage room (my room). Coop 1 (8 x 12) is on the left, houses 12 mix light braham, production red, and bantums. Coop 1 is on the left and boasts a 18 by 32 foot run, uncovered currently, but a work in progress. Coop 1 connects with Coop 2 through a 4 x 8 foot hallway that we now leave open. The hallway is at the back of my 8 x 12 storage/garden room. Coop 2 (8 x 12) is on right and boasts a 16 by 32 or so foot run. Both runs will be covered and fences reinforced with 2x4 to keep extra predator proof. There are 3 large windows (storm windows to control air flow in winter, on each of coop there are large windows again, can keep open or closed. Also gables are open. The entire from the coop will be renovated next spring, a 4 x 8 deck that will be covered with overhang off of front of coop. There will be large windows cut with hardware cloth opening on the front of coop that will be completely blocked off in winter. Still a work in progress, but we have run out of time, and we will be more gung ho again in the spring.

Here are the pics
    Front of the coop
    [​IMG]
    Back of the coop
    [​IMG]
    run of coop 1
    [​IMG]
    Girls hanging out watching me watching them in run 2
    [​IMG]
    Storage room from front door
    [​IMG]
    Storage room from hallway looking at front door
    [​IMG]
    Storage for brooder stuff and hay and straw
    [​IMG]
    Hallway from coop 1 to coop 2
    [​IMG]
    Coop1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Coop2
    [​IMG]
    From inside run 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note everywhere hardware cloth overlaps there will be a two by four tacked to outside of run with reinforced screw with washer holding both sets of hardware cloth to the 2x4 -- we are still working on that and will be done within next few days. After that we are truly done for this year.

The girls all intermingle during the day, I can block off each coop but right now everyone is open, although still go back to home base to sleep, the girls seemed to be thrilled to have choice of which side of coop to lay there egg, we find eggs from both sets of girls in each of the nest boxes.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Very nice!

3. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    Very nice set up! Beautiful girls! Really nice to have storage and room to work around in there.

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks, we have worked hard but love it. Each day we wear ourselves out doing some project with the coop, we both say, won't have to do this next year! The chickens really are a great addition to our little farm!

The 10 nester box is probably 50+ years old and was my grandmothers. My aunt gave it to me when she found out I was getting chicks and I cleaned it up painted it blue and put new bottoms in the nest. These are the same boxes I remember getting eggs out of as a little girl!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by