I started building my coop about 3 weeks ago. I've only had two good weekends of progress due to bad weather and life. This is my first time owning chickens so I did many weeks worth of research and planning. I designed the coop myself and am building it by myself. The coop will be 5'x8' and the run will be 9'x8'. Overall it'll be 14' x 8'. The coop is 2 feet off the ground and open to the run to give the chickens more outside space. The entire thing will be covered with a metal roof. I can have up to 12 chickens (new restriction that just passed). I have 6 right now, but have 2 roos that I'm trying to rehome and will get more girls when the coop is done. My chickens are 9 weeks old now and living in my dining room. This is the beginning of framing out the coop. The coop will be next to my neighbors garage. There's about 4 feet between his garage and the coop and it's definitely on my side of the property line. More framing happening. I framed it out on the ground because it's just me and I won't have anyone to help me hold things in place to screw them down so I'm taking advantage of gravity. I decided to paint everything as I go because painting is my least favorite thing ever. This way it's spaced out and I don't have to be on a ladder or squished into a corner to get everything painted. Got the first frame painted! This is the north side of the coop. This is the east side of the coop From left to right: south side, east side, and north side of the coop. It was a nice day so I brought the chickens out while I worked. Weather was significantly slowing down progress. I saw this "party tent" on a really good sale so I bought it so I could work in almost any weather. Got the footers in place. A neighbor had used cement blocks I could use for free and my father had treated 4"x4" lumber so I went this route to minimize cost and labor. All the footers are in place and ready for the base. I had a roll of 2x4 welded wire hanging out in my basement so I cut it and attached it to the bottom of the base to discourage diggers. I dug back the sod and put the wire down. I wanted to avoid tearing up my grass as much as possible. I put the sod back in place, stomped it down, and am ready to put the frame up. I got three sides up. I decided to put part of the roof up before I put the last wall up so that I don't have to reach too far over to do roof work. I got part of the roof up, the last wall up, and the floor joists in. I bring the chickens out with me on nice days. Yes, I catch and carry them out and in. Some of the chickens are much more cooperative with this than others. They're all chill once I get them, but Red, my RRR Roo is a slippery lil sucker so he's always the last to get caught. This day they were very adventurous and were allllll over the yard. They spent a lot of time by me under the coop. I think it's a hit. One good side of them being in my dining room for so long is that they're very used to me and lots of noise since I listen to music and am also remodeling the inside of the house. They're used to lots of noise so they don't even run when I'm using my power tools. I've got some really chill chickens. The sun is setting so time to stop progress for the weekend. The picture below shows the south side of the coop. The middle section is going to be used for storage of chicken items. Above the storage is going to be the roost with a slide out poop board. Above that is going to be a window I got for $10 at a local hardware store. It was in the loose or damaged section. This is the west side of the coop. I got the window (double hung!) at the hardware store for $20 in the loose or damaged section. There wasn't a thing wrong with it. It was one heck of a find. I put the window up so that it opens from the outside to avoid having to deal with opening from inside the coop. I'm going to build a "screen door/cage " for the outside of it so it can stay open whenever and still be safe. The "door" will swing open so I can use the window to access the inside of the coop whenever or if I ever need to. There will be many doors on the coop, but I figured I didn't want to permanently seal the window with hardware wire just to make life easier in the long run. I'll keep this updated with my progress!