Coop and Run done!...Run floor vs Coop floor question. Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kptwin, Jun 8, 2016.

1. kptwin

kptwin Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Just needs painting! Yay!

DO I NEED SHAVINGS ON FLOOR OF COOP?I know I need them in the nesting boxes. They are closed off for a bit as they needed encouragement to roost.

CAN I DEEP BED RUN AND NOT COOP?

My coop has pine shavings and a floor with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. The coop is raised and the poop and shavings drop into the run with a little encouragement from flat edge of a rake. The run is 14 feet, covered and I have 5 chickens. We have mild weather and the run has remained dry. When I research the deep bed method, I seem to only find reference to coop maintenance.I am obviously new to chickens and am loving them! Note by Boxer to left who remains undecided. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How mild are your winters?

3. kptwin

May 2, 2016
    Average temp November-January and March in the Mid 50's.
    Average rainfall for those months is 2.5-3.5 inches per month. Pretty sporadic and fare "downpour".
    Our February temperature seems consistently higher in the mid 60s-70 annually.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might consider cutting a piece of plywood to fit on the floor of the coop that you could introduce if necessary. I would not put bedding on the wire floor.

5. orpington13

orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    We use hay as insulation if it gets to cold.

6. kptwin

May 2, 2016
    Thank you! They don't seem to mind the wire, so that is a good thing!

7. orpington13

orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Just as a side note however, the hay works as an okay insulator, but it may be hard to clean.

8. kptwin

May 2, 2016
    I am now only using pine shavings in nesting boxes. They seem to be doing well. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by