coop and run finally done with pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abhaya, Nov 20, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I finally have the coop and run finished or at least livable. I am sure I will do more as I see things that need changing. This is my first try at building a coop. It is made of all used stuff even the paint is left over. The only thing that I bought was a tin snip. It isnt pretty but it is done and it works:celebrate
    This is before the run the coop is 4.5x4.5 with 1.5x4.5 attached nesting box split into 2 parts. It is tin tin on the bottom 24" with 12" wire on top for venting. windows on the north and west sides. The south side is open covered with a tarp at night for the winter. Temps only drop to mid 20 here.
    [​IMG]
    With the run the run is odd shaped it is about the 4 sides east 6' north 10' west 10' south 12' I needed to put in a door and I didnt want o cut all the tin.
    The run is 12" tin on the bottom with 12" sticking out to be covered with large stones. chicken wire for the rest of the sides and bird mesh to cover it.
    [​IMG]

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    looks like its got potential. just a bit on the crooked end?

sorry dont want to hurt your feelings.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:[​IMG] it is on a hill and it is a little crooked I am sure. I am not a carpenter!!!!! but it is dry draft free and critter proof all a chicken needs!!!!!!!

4. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    I think it's GREAT! Your chickens don't care what it looks like [​IMG]

5. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:Looks like it does the job. Good for you! I love it. And I'm sure your chickens will be thrilled with their new home. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice low cost housing...[​IMG]

7. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Great job, I can't even nail two boards together! What kind of chickens do you have?
    Edited to add: Duh I just saw what chickens you have in your sig line....sorry

8. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    being predator proof and weather proof are the 2 most important things.
    the chickens will love it.
    Good job!!

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:[​IMG] it is on a hill and it is a little crooked I am sure. I am not a carpenter!!!!! but it is dry draft free and critter proof all a chicken needs!!!!!!!

got it. [​IMG] as long as your chickens are safe and happy!!! woot woot

10. kgriffith

kgriffith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    Warminster, PA
    I did not know they had section 8 housing for chickens [​IMG] The run is nice and big!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by