Coop and run footing/ ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Englewood, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Englewood

Englewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Right now my coop and run are dirt and grass, respectively. I know you can put sand in a run, but can I also put in in the coop? Maybe I could use a kitty litter scoop to clean out the poop. I am also looking for a ventilation system to keep the coop cool in the summer, but won't make the chickens play freeze out in the winter. I'm in central MO.[​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, you can use sand in the coop. My coop floor is dirt since it was built inside an existing barn. I just rake it out each day.

As far as ventilation, are there any other openings in your coop other then the door that I'm just not seeing in the pic? If not you will definitely need to make some openings for ventilation. Even in the cold of winter the coop needs to be ventilated, so either windows that can be closed or partly covered in winter or vents along the top that are always open. All can be covered with hardware cloth for predator proofing. In the summer I have a fan in the coop to help keep them cool.

Personally I'd also put hardware cloth or welded wire on the run too.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by