Coop and Run in Progress, pic

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenguys, May 11, 2009.

1. greenguys

greenguys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    we've combed through plans for months....even bought the A-frame designs for Catawa coops but decided that was too intense for "UNhandy" men such as ourselves. I think we've made an excellent start for two guys who are not woodworkers. My partner Roy came up with the design. The top has four sections: 2 are stationary, 2 open for cleaning and such. The run is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide. The henhouse is 4 feet wide, 3 feet deep and 4 feet high. Still working on it. This just what we accomplished yesterday. Total supplies (including two new sawblades and a pair $13 fencing nippers) was $215.00. Gregory

[​IMG]

2. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    looks nice, how many to plan to have?

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    It looks awesome. Do you have ventilation in your plans? Its an AWESOME start [​IMG]

4. jfarms

jfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Northeast Oklahoma
    Very nice... [​IMG]

5. greenguys

greenguys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    we bought the 6 minimum from Tractor Supply and had intended to only keep 3 in the end. But, I think we're keeping all six. Btw, our backyard is also completely fenced .... we'll be letting them out in the afternoons when we get home to run around (supervised, of course).

Yes, going to put ventilation in the top front and top back. The side facing out will completely open.

do you still do all the ventilating during the coldest part of winter? or should they be sealed then?

G.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:Ventialtion is needed year round [​IMG] Thats why you need ventilation not drafts. patandchickens Has GREAT info. If you keeping 6 chickens, you need at least 24 sq feet for standards and 12 sq feet for bantams. Each chicken neeeds 4 sq foot for standards and 2 for bantams. For the run they need 10 sq feet or 5 for bantams. Since they will free range to you could get 8 feet for the run [​IMG]

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Since it's 4x3, could you extend the roof back another 3 feet if you're keeping all 6? Overcrowding = higher risk for disease, and pecking [​IMG]

8. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    Well that is a very nice start on your coop good job i got my chickens from the same spot just to let you know.

9. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    It looks great guys! I bet the girls will love it! [​IMG]

Although you may want to start your second one now as well.... [​IMG]

Trust me, you will be VERY addicted soon and will need at least 2 of every fat fluffy, or skinny, short and tall breeds! LOL [​IMG]

10. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks GREAT so far!! Can't wait to see more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by