Coop and Run Very Rough Draft

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sam The Yam, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a small area to build my coop and run. It will be long and narrow, but comfortable for 3-5 hens. I have drawn out this very rough design in a letter to my son who is in New York for 2 years serving a mission for our church, and he is a builder in the making. He won 2nd in the nation last year in the SKILS USA carpentry division. I wish he was here to build this, but he is doing better things so I simply have to write him and show him what I have in mind and ask for his opinion.
    Anyway, I thought of doing a simple barn style, about 8 ft long and 4 ft wide. It will have nest boxes on the one end and they will be accessible from the outside. Up in the small roof top I may have a couple nest boxes or possibly simply have a roost up there. There will be some screened windows up there for ventilation.

[​IMG]

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    at first i thought you needed some real walls untill i looked back at where you are. your design looks good. i like the top.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

For three to five hens, you won't need more than two or three next boxes. Be sure the nest boxes are lower than the roost; otherwise, the hens will roost in the next boxes if they're higher than the roost.

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I like your idea and drawing! I am not a carpenter either, I only know enough to get by. I took my coop from drawing to finish and it came out just as I had planned. Please keep us posted and take lots of pictures! I can't wait to see the end result on this coop! [​IMG]

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Looks wonderful nice and airy for all that crazy heat you get.

6. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Thanks for your response. I 'm anxious to get started and hope to as early as this coming Saturday.

7. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Yes, we definitely have the crazy heat and they will need some good ventilation, so it should work out nice. Thanks for your response.

8. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I am sure you will do fine and congrats to your son, sounds like he has also found something he likes doing, and certainly you can be proud, so very important to have a job you like.

9. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Your response is encouraging and I appreciate it. I will take pictures and post them. It will be fun to see it come together.

10. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:I appreciate the advice and will do that. I looked at your page and you have some beautiful chickens and very nice coops. I like how you explained how predator proof it is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by