coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tjbuglione, Aug 8, 2013.

1. tjbuglione

tjbuglione New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    i have 10 pullets i have an 8x10' run for night time totally enclosed and a 4x3x4 coop in the run they free range during the day is this size ok for night time? should they always be in their coop at night or is the coop and run ok? the run is 100% predator proof we dont get snow where i live and the run and coop both have a wood roof over it any tips? is this setup ok?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Chickens should naturally sleep in their coop. If they don't you should teach them to do so until they do it by themselves. Make sure your coop roof doesn't leak in the rain and all should be fine. Clean your run and coop out as often as you can and your setup sounds fine but the coop sounds a bit small for ten chickens, just make sure there's good ventilation and plenty of space to roost in.

3. Smangerer

Smangerer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Im also new to this but in my experience they go in at night so the enclosed run wont be used at night. That coop sounds small for 10 adult birds seeing as they will all want in at night to sleep. From what Ive read here, inside the coop should be about at least 4 sq. ft / bird not including the nest boxes and the run should have [/FONT]at least 10 sq. ft. / bird. The roosts should allow about a foot of space per bird and of course every situation is different. Your run isn't a total loss though as its nice to have a place for them to be safely while you are away and it sounds like you could enclose it if you find that they do need more inside space.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]My 3 birds have about the same set up but they don't free-range much yet. They all go into the coop at night but they have yet to sleep on the roosts in the coop. They roost outside during the day in the run. Im hoping they figure it out at night before they start laying so they don't sleep in the nest boxes like they want to now. I blocked the boxes off and improved the roost bar but they just plop down on the floor.
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. tjbuglione

tjbuglione New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    thats kinda my question do they need a coop or is a secure run ok for nighttime? its fully enclosed w 1/4" wire so they are totally safe i agree the coop isnt big enough but for now they are only 2 months old so they have plenty of room

5. tjbuglione

tjbuglione New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    and the roof is totally solid wood

6. Smangerer

Smangerer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Mine all want in at the same time at night and want to sleep in the same spot. I think you will need to make a larger enclosed coop to accommodate 10 grown birds and have enough roosting areas. Maybe if all of them had to sleep outside it could work but if some can go in, all will want in. I don't recommend making them all sleep out so I'd say err on the side of caution... Make them a propper sized coop or get rid of some birds. If they free range all the time then you don't need a large run.

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Maybe you can ditch the coop and enclose one end of the run with plywood at the three fenced ends for a total of at least 40 sq ft. (so enclosing one 8' side and then going up 5' in the other direction would do it. If you don't get freezing weather that would be all that is needed. A roof, three sides, a place for them to roost that is secure and out of the weather. The other 5' would be a run area but as you say that they free range much of the day that's really not so important.

8. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I personally believe chickens should be closed up in their coop at night. This keeps them safe from night time predators.
    [​IMG]
    This raccoon is a nightly visitor in our yard. We also have pictures of bobcats, armadillos,cats and possums on our game camera.

9. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote: This depends on your setup. My coop and run are super secure. I leave the pop door open 24/7. There has never been anything in there except a mouse. Everything is closed in with 1/2" hardware cloth and secured with latches and padlocks, and then the whole thing is surrounded with electronet.

The OP said that the run was secured with 1/4" hwc so I think his chickens would be quite safe in an open air coop, especially if there is no freezing weather to deal with.

To each their own, though. If your setup is not as secure as mine, of course you'd want to close them up at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by