Coop and Tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hopefulloflove, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    What I am wondering is this. I am planning to build a stationary coop and run. But I also like the idea of a tractor. Is it possible to have a tractor without the coop just to sort of let the girls into for freeranging some, but not to live in? Does that make sense? I also will be having about 20, so can I just take like 6 or so at a time and alternate days or will that cause problems?

Thanks in Advance [​IMG]

2. ParagonPoultry

ParagonPoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Paragon, IN
    I wouldn't foresee you having any problems with this at all. It's not like the few you have out in the tractor will be gone long enough to upset the established "pecking order". It sounds like a nice alternative to free ranging!

3. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I was thinking it would be like for an hour or maybe two..just to change it up and also to reap the benefits of them moving about the property...I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause problems or be bad for them...

4. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I've actually just recently decided to build a tractor type "dwelling" as well. But i intend to have a detatchable/attatchable "coop" due to weather issues. I plan on leaving mine out all day long so it will be predator proof. I'm going today on a search for materials. I want it to be as free as my big coop and pen have been. I've already gathered my main frame for the bottom, landscaping timbers are in a huge stack in the field here. They are heavy and I don't see them movable by predators once assembled. This is going to be my first solo build so i'll take pictures as I go along. Wish me luck!

5. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I will look foward to seeing what you build. It will be a little down the road before I build mine. Got to get the coop and run started and done first!

6. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:I want to have one that my bunnies can enjoy as well. Just informed my Dad that i'll be looking for bits and pieces so expect calls and texts from me LOL

7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    That's kinda like an idea that im gonna try to do. I'm going to make a decent sized run that's permanent, then have a opening on one end about 2' off the ground and ha e it roughly 1'w x 18"h...and i'll have a standard door into the run for me. Then I can build a few tractors ( well more of a coop on wheels ) then on the dryer days I will roll one out and over to the coop. They have a item called a barn door jamb latch, it works off a cam design ( kinda like visegrips..how you can adjust the "force"of it) they are pretty cheap. Id use 4 of these to attach the coop to the run ( squeezing them together ). On the coops door opening id use a 2x4 so id have a lip of some sort to line up the two openings. Just one or the many ideas bouncing around in my head.
    You could do a portable run (coopless tractor) pretty easy. Just want to add a roost in there and something for shade, or if they and you get caught off guard perhaps something for shade and rain. GL and make sure you lost pics!

8. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Thanks! Wish me luck! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by