1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

1. stephenlouis

stephenlouis In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    I have a chicken tractor with coop attatched that i moved my 15 RIR into at 4weeks old. I put food and water into the coop and had to put in a light to get them to go inside at night. Now they are 9 weeks old and go inside and roost before i turn the light on. Do i still need the light and food and water at night? I was told they are still growing and need the light and food/water so they will feed at night. What do you guys do? Thanks.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Are they meat birds or layers? If they're meat birds, I have no experience, but I think you want them to continue to eat at night. If they're layers, they should be sleeping at night, so you can turn the light off for them. I leave food and water hanging in my coop so they can access it when they wake up before the automatic pop door opens in the morning.

3. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Cancel the light at night! When they start laying , you may need a light coming on in the morning if where you live does not have 13-14 hours of daylight.

Chickens normally do not feed or drink at night. Once it gets close to dark they go up to roost for the night.

Keep smiling,

Dave

4. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I wouldn't use the light anymore but if it were me I would leave the food and water.

5. Dorte

Dorte Songster

Apr 27, 2010
    Quote:Yep, if you are raising $0.50/lb chicken deals, but I doubt that is your goal [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by