1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop at night

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by itsokay, Feb 10, 2014.

1. itsokay

itsokay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hello! Brand new chicken owner here. Here is my coop, which is a bit embarrassing compared to all the lovely ones posted here..but as I said, I'm new at this and we're only keeping two chickens.

Normally we lock the chickens in at night but we will be away for a few nights next month and I am wondering if it's okay to only have someone check on them and feed them once a day (for 3 nights) or do I need to ask them to come twice to lock them in for the night?
    I live in Brisbane in the suburbs. There is no way for dogs to get into our back yard but we do hear the odd cat fight at night.

Thanks! :)

2. itsokay

Feb 4, 2014
    I should mention that I don't mean leaving them outside loose.. I mean not locking them in the actual coop but keeping the coop door open to the run.

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Personally, I wouldn't. You run is open to the grass. It's too easy for an animal to dig under it. The more secure you can make them at night, the better off they will be, and the easier you will sleep while away.

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there, I'm with Moonshadows..too many little critters can get in and cause havoc. It would be much better to have them safely locked in at night.

5. itsokay

Feb 4, 2014
    Thanks! Ok I'll get them to come twice. I'd be devastated if something happened to my babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by