1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by krayca, Jun 21, 2017.

1. krayca

krayca Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2016
    Gardner KS
    Our 6 backyard chickens were attacked last night. We made a grave mistake and forgot to shut the run door open...All but 1 were killed or carried off. We feel terrible and heartbroken. The one chicken who is still with us is obviously traumatize huddled under the coop. We are giving her time to settle but then what.. What do you recommend we do if she makes it thru this? I cant imagine 1 lonely chicken is ok, do I consider getting her a couple young chicks?

2. Amelia Egghart

Amelia Egghart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA
    How horrible! She needs to be moved to a safe, dark, warm place if she's to recover. Usually a dog crate covered with a towel in the house works well. Usually after trauma and no injuries, I put the bird on starter crumble with fresh water that had probiotics added. No starter, regular fresh feed is fine.

Once her shell shock stage is over, she'll need a new flock. How old is she? I'd try a couple started pullets that are a little younger (so she can beat them up and not feel challenged!).

Good luck. And that predator will be back since it got an easy meal. Be sure to fortify your coop surroundings to discourage it. Yet another reason to move your sole survivor indoors.

3. krayca

krayca Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2016
    Gardner KS
    Thank you for your response. She is a 2 years old Easter Egger.

4. GGBEAR

GGBEAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Oh the poor mite could it have been Fox??

I would suggest gettin pullets and when they start getting beat up do not intervene I had this happen to me

5. Amelia Egghart

Amelia Egghart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA
    Ok, I'd get two pullets that are not quite POL. Old enough to be outside on their own but not full size yet so she doesn't feel threatened.

6. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    She will be okay but could have a period of not laying eggs, but might be just fine. I agree the predator will come back so leaving her in a different location awhile might be good, and not letting her out free range for awhile since raccoons come in daytime too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by