Coop Automation

jfpetesn

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2016
Red Bud, IL
So I see many great ideas for Coop design. How about Coop automation? What are you doing to bring Chicken Coops into the world of Hi-Tech and automation?

As for myself, I am currently adding my Coop to the world of the Amazon Echo and Insteon. I just added our Chicken Coop fans to our system and so I can instruct the Echo to "Turn on the Chicken Coop Fans" and it does that. I turn them off the same way. I plan to add Coop lighting, water heater and the Ador1 door to the system in the near future. I think I could also integrate the filling of the waterer also if I wanted. I can also integrate Cameras.

With this system I can operate any of these items anywhere in the world using my computer or smartphone. Anyone have any other ideas for automation???

Thanks
Jeff & Faith

I've got the ADOR1 and love it. Also using a WEMO (kinda like the insteon you're going to use) to control a large vent fan in the coop. One other thing that's great to have is a camera system. I've got 7 cameras at home and 5 of them are aimed at the chicks, 3 are in the coop/run. It's really nice to be able to check in on things when I'm away on business...or just too lazy to walk to the back door and look
smile.png
When we built the coop we ran electric out from the house, and I threw in two cat5 lines (one for use, one for spare). So I've got wired HD IP cameras out there which makes for a good picture and a reliable feed.

I am all about the automation of the chicken coop!

The Chicken Fountain has been the best thing ever for us. Never having to refill water in the run is awesome.

Great ideas. Our coop is new this spring so I have not run the permanent wiring yet. I am using an extension cord right now but plan to trench in the wiring at some point. Going to install the Ador soon it looks to be the most robust of the door systems that I have looked at. The camera idea is a good one I know I can integrate them into my Insteon hub but I have not tried that yet. I am a hardwired LAN kind of guy 90% of my LAN is hardwired but my coop is out there and it would be difficult to pull cat6 to the coop so I would have to rely on wireless at this point.

Can you explain how your chicken fountain works?
It's basically a PVC and nipple system that is always connected to a hose with a pressure valve. It keeps the water full at all times and allows you to add additives (medicine, apple cider vinegar, etc...) directly to their water supply.

Here's their link. It explains more than i could. I will say, so far it works exactly as advertised.

http://chickenfountain.com/chicken-fountain-waterer/

Great ideas. Our coop is new this spring so I have not run the permanent wiring yet. I am using an extension cord right now but plan to trench in the wiring at some point. Going to install the Ador soon it looks to be the most robust of the door systems that I have looked at. The camera idea is a good one I know I can integrate them into my Insteon hub but I have not tried that yet. I am a hardwired LAN kind of guy 90% of my LAN is hardwired but my coop is out there and it would be difficult to pull cat6 to the coop so I would have to rely on wireless at this point.

If you're going to trench the line it's very easy to run the cat5/6 and put the wires inside a small pvc tube. We dug the trench, ran the pipe/wire/cat5, and reburied in a few hours. Approx 100 feet from where it enters the house out to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom