Coop/aviary builds for california quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kittycat1356, Feb 3, 2017.

1. kittycat1356

kittycat1356 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Fayetteville nc
    My SO got me some gambels quail eggs as Valentine's gift, and I was wondering what's a good coop build for them? I read they can boink and break their necks, but I don't know if I believe it. I am very familiar with coturnix, and they do not boink at all, despite being told they do.

But I'm not familiar with this breed of quail and I'd love to get a better understanding of them. There also isn't much info on keeping them as poultry. Mostly hunting and stuff. I plan on keeping them as pets mostly, maybe in a small aviary build.

2. QuailCo Eggs

QuailCo Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Hooper, UT
    I have roughly 150 Gambel's and 150 Valley's. Both breeds are a "nervous" breed. I've keep them in wire cages and in a fly pen. They go absolutely nuts and freak when you approach them in the pens. When I kept them in wire cages, their feathers get hammered cause they fly and run on each other badly when you walk to them. I've never had the issue of them breaking their neck but they do hit their heads a lot. I will NEVER keep thiese breeds in small wire pens. I would recommend you build a big fly pen for them to fly and run to get away and hide. I also use many used live christmas trees every year and line the fly pens for the quail to run and hide when you walk to the pen.
    &nbsp

Chad

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. kittycat1356

kittycat1356 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Fayetteville nc

Thanks! Only a few of the eggs are developing anyway, if they hatch I will handle them lots and try to tame them down.

Would a pen about 5-6 ft tall be okay? It would still be solid on the top though. ( bent cattle panel, with a plastic hardware cloth directly under that.)

4. QuailCo Eggs

QuailCo Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Hooper, UT
    Sorry to hear about only a couple developing. Good luck on taming the valley breed. I was unsuccessful. I have two fly pens that are 20 feet by 35 feet and the top is 12 feet high. They still fly and hit the top of my pens. I think 5-6 feet high is better than small wire cages...should work. Good luck!! Call if you have any questions in the future.

Chad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by