Coop bedding and in run

BobbieB7

Chirping
Mar 2, 2021
Rhode Island USA 🇺🇸 Zone 6b
Hi there me again
So I used wood shavings when girls were growing and first put into coop and run. I really disliked it. I’ve read here and other places about benefits of sand , but I haven’t had a chance to buy it because we’ve spent everyday since March building coop an.
Anyway that’s a long story! Lol
So I picked up some pellet Horse bedding .
I add water and break down pellets, most broken down and some left like pellets
Using in my run has been great. Using like a deep litter method. Actually has broken down to a nice compost. Anyway I’m using on my coop floor and in the poop box. It sifts out nicely and smells awesome.
Wanted any pros vs cons on this material.
Does this rank up with Sand method? Thank you
1st photo is poop box/roost
2nd photo is run. We just moved up against coop so not completely covered with bedding

Attachments

• 7CC2FF2F-150C-4A47-9380-91BE83AD6781.jpeg
    7CC2FF2F-150C-4A47-9380-91BE83AD6781.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 63
  • EF37DA55-A2C4-4DE2-A9B0-66BF8DD4B996.jpeg
    EF37DA55-A2C4-4DE2-A9B0-66BF8DD4B996.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 4A8EA379-7FB1-42C3-A89A-18721C9C4FA8.jpeg
    4A8EA379-7FB1-42C3-A89A-18721C9C4FA8.jpeg
    901.2 KB · Views: 49
If it works for you,,,, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup stay with it. You mentioned that you do like it.
FOR COOP
Sand will work well, usually if not in a toooooo humid environment. If you encounter high humidity,,, the sand does not dry like you wished.

FOR RUN,, sand should be just fine. Even if you encounter rain, and such, sand drains well if properly leveled. That means if there is proper drainage of your run. If your run happens to be a low area, with poor drainage, then the drainage issue would have to be corrected first.

No location in your profile,,,, so respondents do not know climate,conditions you encounter.

I live in Zone 5A, and hay works very well for me in Coop, and Run. That is what I use. My run is large, and I also place lawn grass clippings during spring, summer, fall. Keeps the ground covered and surface dry for chickens to run around on. They also busy themselves scratching thru it.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Hi thanks for pointing out my location wasn’t posted. I added I’m in Rhode Island. My Run is covered

If it works for you,,,, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup stay with it. You mentioned that you do like it.
FOR COOP
Sand will work well, usually if not in a toooooo humid environment. If you encounter high humidity,,, the sand does not dry like you wished.

FOR RUN,, sand should be just fine. Even if you encounter rain, and such, sand drains well if properly leveled. That means if there is proper drainage of your run. If your run happens to be a low area, with poor drainage, then the drainage issue would have to be corrected first.

No location in your profile,,,, so respondents do not know climate,conditions you encounter.

I live in Zone 5A, and hay works very well for me in Coop, and Run. That is what I use. My run is large, and I also place lawn grass clippings during spring, summer, fall. Keeps the ground covered and surface dry for chickens to run around on. They also busy themselves scratching thru it.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Back
Top Bottom